This is a very easy Tamil Recipes Madurai Prawn Fry but oil consuming (which also tastes super) affair. But nothing to beat this recipe for taste and pleasure of original prawns flavor. My mothers special from Pasumalai, Madurai.
Prawns/shrimp 2 to 4 cups depending on size of prawns
Red chili powder 2 tsp
Turmeric 2 tsp
Fennel 1 tbsp
Ginger/garlic paste 2 tbsp
curry leaves a few
Salt to taste
Oil 4 cups
Water to cook
1. Clean the prawns well and peel the shell off, then rub red chili powder, ginger/garlic paste, salt and turmeric for about 15 minutes
2. Pour oil in a deep frying pan and let it heat up in high
3. Now add fennel and fry a bit with curry leaves. Add the prawns in smaller quantities depending upon the number of prawns and the size of your wok. Do not let them stick to one another.
4. After about 5 minutes they should have become brown by now so turn the side and let the other side also become brown and crispy
5. Serve as side dish for any meal or eat it as a snack or bites for drinks
Prawns are the shrimps in America and it is also called as ‘eratu or ratu’ in Tamilnadu. It is a seafood that gas become expensive int he recent past. The entire export market in India picked up in the last two decades and make it almost impossible for people living in India especially y in the coastal regions to buy and eat shrimp. The export market can afford to pay a higher price because of the market demand for shrimps abroad the local price of shrimps and prawns have increased beyond the common man;s ability to pay up.
The recipes for this seafood like shrimps as many and varied. They are regional in perspective as taste in India differs greatly from regions to region. The south has traditional curry based recipes and north has different sets of criteria. These are also available for frying like this one above and many forms of curries and gravies abound. Coconut is also used with any of these prawn recipes throughout South India especially Kerala.
Some have allergies associated with any sea food more so with shrimps. You may need to consult a doctor before trying out any of these dishes in shrimps. All the curry and ingredients are available in America in Indian and Asian grocery stores in major cities all over the USA. The internet also now supplies all kinds of imported items through courier services.